Vaping 101: How To Choose The Safest E-Liquid?
Switched to e-cigarettes? Or leaving tobacco cigarettes behind you? You have made the right decision! You will reduce the risks generally associated with tobacco use by approximately 95% according to the UK Department of Health. However, to optimise this benefit for your health even further, you will need to use your e-cigarette correctly and choose e-liquids manufactured in line with professional standards. Below you will find some advice on making the right choice.
Precautionary principles for choosing your e-liquid
General precautionary principles
1. Never vape if your e-cigarette e-liquid supply is defective, in order to prevent a “dry hit”.
2. Observe the settings specified by the manufacturer if your device can be configured (Mod) and adapt your resistance value to these settings (ohm).
3. It is preferable to increase your nicotine content to vape less, than to reduce it and increase your e-liquid consumption to make up for it.
4. There are very few health benefits to be obtained from alternating tobacco cigarettes and e-cigarettes. It is preferable to stick to vaping, or even better, not smoke or vape at all!
5. Direct-To-Lung (DTL) inhalation or cloud chasing (or power vaping) require heavy e-liquid consumption. Practise them with care.
Precautionary principles specific to e-liquids
1. Opt for e-liquids manufactured by companies with highly qualified in-house staff (engineers, chemists, flavourists, etc.)
2. Some manufacturing standards, including the renowned French Afnor standard, provide a non-negligible safety guarantee for the consumer.
3. The higher the flavour content of an e-liquid, the greater the likelihood of the chemical reactions multiplying at high temperatures.
4. A sweet e-liquid will be more likely to caramelise the resistance coil, and hence encourage potential volatile organic compound production.
5. Change your resistance coil frequently (at least every two weeks in the event of daily use), especially when the flavour of your e-liquid has changed.
6. Opt for e-liquids with simple (single flavour), rather than complex, flavours.
7. If making your own e-liquid (DIY), try to minimise the flavour and additive concentration.
The right e-liquid
We hope that this information has helped you gain a better understanding of the complex, but nonetheless important, question of choosing an e-liquid. Bear in mind that e-cigarettes offer smokers a very substantial reduction in the risks associated with tobacco use, and if you are a novice vaper and have managed to give up cigarettes thanks to vaping, you can be very proud of yourself.
The right e-liquid, regardless of its composition, is an e-liquid that helps you forget tobacco cigarettes.